From Captivity to Creativity: Cheng Lei's Artistic
Cheng Lei, an Australian journalist, transforms her China prison ordeal into a memoir and stage play
U.S. President Donald Trump said he has called off planned military strikes against Iran after several Middle Eastern allies requested more time for diplomacy and negotiations. Trump revealed that the strikes had been scheduled for Tuesday but were paused because what he described as “serious negotiations” are now taking place between the United States and Iran. The announcement came during rising tensions in the Middle East after months of military threats, sanctions, and fears of a wider regional conflict.
According to Trump, leaders from Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates personally urged him to delay military action and allow diplomatic talks another chance. In a statement posted on Truth Social, Trump said he agreed to pause the attack after hearing from Gulf allies who believed a possible deal with Iran could still be reached. However, he also warned that the U.S. military remains fully prepared to launch a “full, large scale assault” if negotiations fail.
The president did not provide full details about the planned strikes, but reports suggested the operation could have targeted Iranian military or infrastructure sites connected to the ongoing conflict and nuclear tensions. Trump has repeatedly accused Iran of delaying negotiations while continuing activities linked to uranium enrichment and regional military operations. Over the weekend, he warned Tehran that “the clock is ticking” and said Iran needed to move quickly toward an agreement.
The latest diplomatic effort reportedly began after Iran submitted a revised peace proposal through mediators, including officials connected to Pakistan and Gulf countries. Reports said Iran’s proposal included discussions around sanctions relief, nuclear restrictions, and regional security issues. However, American officials reportedly viewed the first version of the proposal as insufficient, leading to continued pressure from Washington.
The tension between the United States and Iran has increased sharply in recent months. Earlier this year, the U.S. and Israel carried out military strikes connected to Iran’s nuclear and military infrastructure, while Iran responded with missile and drone attacks targeting U.S. allies and regional shipping routes. The Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most important oil shipping lanes, has remained at the center of the conflict and global economic concerns.
Global oil markets reacted quickly after Trump announced the pause in military action. Oil prices fell by around two percent as investors hoped negotiations could reduce the risk of a wider war in the Middle East. Analysts said fears of disruption in the Strait of Hormuz had already pushed fuel prices higher in recent weeks because the route is responsible for transporting a large share of the world’s oil supply.
Despite the temporary pause, uncertainty remains high. Trump made clear that military options are still active and could return immediately if Iran refuses to agree to American conditions. U.S. officials continue demanding strict limits on Iran’s nuclear program and guarantees related to regional security. Iran, meanwhile, has insisted that sanctions relief and sovereignty issues must also be part of any final agreement.
Political reactions inside the United States have been divided. Some Republican figures and national security supporters argued that strong military pressure is necessary to stop Iran’s nuclear ambitions. Others warned that another major war in the Middle East could create economic instability, increase fuel prices, and draw the United States into a long-term regional conflict.
For now, negotiations appear to be continuing behind closed doors, with Gulf states playing an important role as mediators between Washington and Tehran. Trump said he remains hopeful that a deal can still be reached but stressed that Iran must agree to terms acceptable to the United States and its allies.