Ex Teacher Commissioner Denies Being Fired By Premier

Post by : Sophia Matthew

Former education commissioner Bobbi Taillefer has strongly denied claims that she was fired from her position, calling statements made by Premier Wab Kinew “blatantly false.”

Taillefer, who served as Manitoba’s commissioner of teacher professional conduct, said she voluntarily resigned on April 8 after realizing that her working arrangements in the United States could become a political issue. In a public statement, she said her resignation was accepted by the provincial government and was not a termination.

The controversy began after reports revealed that Taillefer had been working remotely from Florida. Following this, Premier Kinew stated that she had been fired, claiming the government had “cut ties” with her due to concerns about her working outside Canada.

However, Taillefer said government officials had long been aware of her work arrangements. She explained that during her hiring process in 2024, it was clearly understood that she might work from outside the country from time to time. According to her, her contract for the part-time role did not include any restrictions on work location or require her to be physically present in an office.

She also stated that senior officials, including deputy ministers, were aware of her situation and that she carried out her responsibilities with full professionalism. Taillefer added that describing her departure as a firing wrongly suggests misconduct on her part, which she says has harmed her professional reputation.

“This implication is blatantly false and has caused substantial damage to my reputation,” she said, emphasizing that she had received positive feedback during her time in the role.

Meanwhile, Education Minister Tracy Schmidt described the situation as a “messy HR matter” and said the province had decided to “part ways” with Taillefer. She avoided clearly defining whether the departure was a resignation or termination, stating that the issue had been addressed and the government is moving forward.

Despite the disagreement, Taillefer has agreed to assist with the transition. She recently signed a short-term contract to support the office until mid-July, ensuring continuity while a replacement is arranged.

The issue has also sparked political debate. Opposition leader Obby Khan criticized the government, accusing it of giving conflicting statements and raising concerns about transparency.

The provincial government has since appointed David Yeo as the interim commissioner while a permanent replacement is being selected.

The role of the commissioner is important, as it involves investigating complaints of teacher misconduct and ensuring accountability within the education system. As the situation continues to unfold, questions remain about communication within the government and how the matter was handled publicly.

April 15, 2026 4 p.m. 128

Canada News CNI News world news